Trion Police Chief David Gilleland is warning Trion residents about the potential of flooding over the next several days. The National Weather Service is forecasting 8-10 inches of rain for Northwest Georgia between now and this weekend.
The heaviest rainfall currently appears most likely late Wednesday into Thursday.
– Flash flooding is possible in areas where rainfall accumulates quickly or where it overwhelms areas with poor drainage – extensive street flooding and road ponding could occur.
– Minor flooding of creeks or rivers is likely with the expected rainfall amounts, and even moderate flooding is possible.
Stay alert to changes in the forecast given the prolonged nature of this setup.
– Take time to clear debris from drainage areas, culverts and storm water systems
– Familiarize yourself with locations of local river observation equipment
– Remove property from flood-prone/low-lying areas